MALCS - Admissions
The application deadline (extended) for MALCS 2015-16 is June 1, 2015 (for Part-time module only).
|Open House for 2015:
Learn more and explore your future in the MALCS programme at the Open House. With: Presentation, Q-A session, Advising, and Refreshments.
Date: January 24, 2015 (Saturday)
Time: 2 – 4pm
Venue: CPD3.04, 3/F, Run Run Shaw Tower, Centennial Campus, HKU
*All are welcome. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Open House” to reserve your seats.
Class Visit for 2015:
Evening classes will be open to visitors who want to observe and participate in regular MALCS teaching and learning activities:
Date: January 26 - 28, 2015 (Monday – Wednesday)
Time: 6:30 – 9:30pm
Venue: The University of Hong Kong, selected classrooms
*Class schedule will be sent out to those who have reserved their seats via email email@example.com
1-year Full Time or 2-year Part Time
General Admission Requirement:
The basic qualification for admission to the MALCS is a good honours degree from HKU or an equivalent qualification from comparable institutions. Qualified applicants may be holders of:
an MA Degree (in any discipline)
a BA Degree (in any discipline), Division 2 or above (2B)
Applicants with qualifications other than an honours degree will be considered on their individual merits.
Applicants with qualifications from a university or comparable institution outside HK where the language of teaching or examination is not English are required to obtain:
- a score of 550 or above (paper based test) or 80 or above (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), in which a score of 4 or above in the Test of Written English (TWE), or a score of 25 or above in the Writing section of the Internet-based TOEFL; or
- a minimum overall band of 7 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Only TOEFL / IELTS score recorded in the two years before the date of application is considered for admission.
Application for admission should be made online via http://www.als.hku.hk/admission/tpg/welcome.htm
* The online application system will be open to the public for the 2015 admission exercise in early January 2015.
Application deadline: March 7, 2015.
Important notes about online application
- Applicants are advised to submit their online applications early so as to avoid systems congestion near the deadline for application. In addition to the online applications, applicants should submit the required supporting documents, including officially certified copies of certificates and complete official transcripts of your undergraduate or postgraduate studies to School of Humanities (Comparative Literature) by mail by the appropriate deadline for application. Documents which are not in English should be accompanied by a formally certified translation in English.
- Applicants may bring the originals of certificates together with an additional set of their photocopies to the Academic Services Office (G-04, Run Run Shaw Building) for verification. The Office will then forward copies of the verified documents to the School of Humanities (Comparative Literature).
The application fee for the MALCS is HK$300 (non-refundable). Payment of application fee should be made online at http://www.als.hku.hk/admission/tpg/welcome.htm. Payment by cash will NOT be accepted. Your online application cannot be processed unless you pay your application fee online by VISA or MASTERCARD.
Composition fee of the MALCS is $80,000 for 1 year full-time and $40,000 for 2 years part-time paid in two installments annually. Applicants should note that the first installment of the composition fee is payable at the time of acceptance of an offer of admission. Once paid, the composition fee cannot be refunded. *(Remark : The change of composition fee is subject to the approval of the University of Hong Kong.)
Candidates may be invited for email / phone interview.
All non-local candidates should obtain a valid visa to enroll to our programme. Please refer to the following website of the Centre of Development and Resources for Student on the procedures for visa application:
Further details on the entrance requirements and admission can be found on the HKU Postgraduate Prospectus at: http://www.asa.hku.hk/admissions/tpg/prospectus
Back to Top